Monday, April 26, 2010

Music has been played in Walkerton.

And it was played well, I might add.

We got there and my stomach was doing somersaults inside me.

Linda and Mom went out to the car to get something, and I huddled with Critter.
'People everywhere...'

Mom and Linda got back, and we went to the main room. We found a bench, and sat down.

Critter had to go and sit in the very front, on the right. On the left there was a piano.

My leg was bouncing like crazy. My heart was pounding, I was so nervous.

Finally Critter was called to play. My heart jumped for him. I chewed my lip as he announced his piece.

There.

Christopher is done!!

One by one the others went.

The judicature was so nice. I felt more relaxed while he was judging them. He made everyone laugh.

He said some of the kids had hands like brooms, when you want to have your hand like a mop.

He said, if you break a window, you can't fix it. When you miss a note, don't go back.

Finally he was giving the third place paper, the second..and....

Christopher got FIRST!

I was so happy!

He came back and sat down. One minute later, my class was up.

Bam. My calmness was gone. My heart pounded again.

I sat in the number five place, even though I was number four, because someone didn't show.

A girl named Lisa sat on my right, and a girl named Emily sat on my left.

The first person was up.

Then the second.

Then Emily.

She came and sat down again, and I thought, 'That was a cool song.'

I gasped silently as I realized, I am next.

I stared at the woman who would tell me it was my turn.

'Oop, I'm staring..' I thought, and looked in front of me.

Slowly, I turned my eyes back to her.
She saw me staring.

I quickly looked at the ground.

I once again looked at her.

She saw.

I pretended I didn't stare.

I looked at my hands, and looked at my feet, and..I looked at the woman.

"Okay Tiana."

My heart jumped into my mouth. It was my turn.

I got up, and walked to the stage.

"I'm going to play the Sonatina in G-major by Beethoven, the second Movement."

My hands were shaking as I sat down.

Breathe in and breathe out.

And I began to play.

Going good so far..

OH NO! Missed that note. Don't stop though.

Uh oh. I slowed down way to much there.. no.. no.. no.. But I can't stop.

Yeah! I got that part right!

And....done.

Get up.

Go bow.

Sit down.

Emily whispered "Good job."

I whispered "Thanks, and I liked that song you played. I thought it was cool."

Wait.

Lisa's turn.

She's done.

Wait some more.

And the judicature came up.

He said again that we had to have loose hands.

He said to some that you shouldn't play forte too loud. But it depends on the song. He told me I shouldn't slow down too soon. I was kicking myself because I knew I did slow down.

Then, just like before, he started with third place.

I can't remember who got what.

Second place.

I held my breath...



FIRST PLACE!

My smile was hard to contain as I walked back to Mom.

Then Mom got pictures with us and the judicature, and we left for Linda's recital.

We got there and sat down, Critter and I feeling a lot more relived.

I was still nervous for Linda though.

After two people had gone, Linda's class was up.

Linda was the second person to go.

She walked up and announced her piece and sat down at the brand new grand piano and played.

There.

She was done.

She didn't mess up.

The others went, and then the judicature came.

He talked to everyone.

Then, he gave the third place away.

It wasn't Linda.

Second away.

Not Linda.

Hold your breath...

LINDA GOT FIRST PLACE!

She got her picture taken with her judicature, and then we left.

We got pickles before we went home because we were hungry.

We had three pickles each. Yammay.

Then we stopped at Mrs. Lear's.

We made her guess our scores, then we showed her.

She was quite happy with us.

And, after getting pictures with her, we left for home.

Well,

that was what happened in Walkerton.

That's a lot of stress off.

But then, I still have a recital to go to, and then an exam. *Siiiiigh.*


6 comments:

  1. adjudicator

    Like a judge.

    Don't worry, it will get easier the more you perform.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock. And I totally get the leg thing. Before any type of whatever my leg would go CRAZY bouncy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all did great.
    And you are a good writer. You make me laugh, and I can picture exactly what you are describing.
    And it does get easier. Play more for church, when you aren't being judged, and it will help you prepare for when you are judged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ what she said. ;) I know how hard it is, but you should play in public more.

    Yay for first place for everyone! :D That's totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!!! Great job Tiana!!!!!
    Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys rock! I never did anything performancey with my piano playing skills. (That's skills with an 's', because you guys have MAD SKILLZ!) I'm going to echo what Heather and Adeena already said, and say that you need to play for church more often!!! God gave you a gift and you should use it for His glory. :)

    ReplyDelete